Wednesday 24 June 2009

And so it begins

OK, I know I’m going to regret this, but urged on by those nice PR people at the BBC I’ve decided to learn the ukulele. There, I’ve said it now, so there’s no getting out of it. All this in preparation for joining in with the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain for a massed Ode to Joy at the Proms on 18 August.

First things first: get a ukulele. Off to the good souls of Purple Turtle Music in Stockport to order a bright red one, and a purple one for my accomplice. (You need moral support if you’re going to make a prat of yourself. Trouble is, the accomplice is already a guitar player, so not what I would call a beginner.)

They turn up, tiny in their little cases, and I get the feeling that When I’m Cleaning Windows will be within my grasp in no time. Not sure about the Ode to Joy.

On to the BBC’s online tutorials, where good old George Hinchcliffe takes us through the rudiments. The first thing you need, he says, is a screwdriver. Maybe I’m going to like this after all.


2 comments:

  1. I guarantee you won't regret it.

    And Ode to Joy is much easier than When I'm Cleaning Windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure when I'll be cleaning the Ode to Joy - 12th of Never, probably. But I have made a major discovery with the tuning, which I shall write up when my fingers come back to life.

    ReplyDelete