Tuesday 30 June 2009

Singing high, high, high

There are drawbacks to having a low G string, I discover. (New readers, please behave yourselves.) Having resigned myself to the fact that some of the chords required for the Ode to Joy are a physical impossibility, I set about learning the tune instead. Fiendishly difficult, of course, but I stick with it. Trouble is, there comes a point where everything is inexorably heading towards a low G, just before the note that comes in a bit early to catch you out. That low G sounds deeply Beethovenian. With the uke tuned to a high G, however, you get something that sounds more like a pre-school ditty. It's a disappointment, but I'll have to grimace and bear it until someone comes on here to clear up the Great G String Mystery for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment